Sunday, August 31, 2014

Introduction to Rum

I would like to take a little time to introduce you to the vast world of rum. This category of spirits is very wide and vast. I still have lots to learn myself about this amazing spirit. The definition of rum is: Rum is a distilled alcoholic beverage made from sugarcane byproducts, such as molasses, or directly from sugarcane juice, by a process of fermentation and distillation. The distillate, a clear liquid, is then usually aged in oak barrels. The one thing that I have found is that most people who tell me that they do not like rum has only tried one or two of the popular bar rums and have no idea of the choices that they could have if they only gave it a real try. I believe that there is a perfect rum for everyone and I am making my mission to find yours.

The diversity of rum comes from the fact that every rum making nation has their own rules, regulations, customs, and cultures that are interwoven into their production process. For me rum has a style for every occasion and mood. From the crisp white rum to the golden rum to the dark and spiced rums it is hard not to find one that fits your mood and occasion.

Here is an article on the classification of rums that will help you get an idea of the vast diversity of this spirit we call rum.

http://www.rumshop.net/classifications.html

No comments:

Post a Comment